Tonkatsu Restaurant: Imakatsu @ Tanjong Pagar Centre

Living in CBD really has its perks, I love that it is relatively quiet on PH & weekends since the offices are closed. The mister and I popped by Tanjong Pagar Centre for an early dinner before our movie date and decided on Imakatsu since we both haven't had tonkatsu in a while.

After a quick look through the menu I decided on the Mentaiko Loin Cutlet Zen & he decided on Premium Katsu Don, a hot Ontama Udon, and a couple mugs of beers.

Our server seemed very inexperienced and had difficulty with taking our orders but he eventually seemed to get everything down.

The meal started with a huge bowl of fresh cabbage (free flow! don't mind if I do) which I happily munched on while waiting for our food.

Free Flow Cabbage


Mentaiko Loin Cutlet Zen (S$21.80)     6.5/10



Generous serving of Mentaiko over the katsu but I was a little bit disappointed that it was not as flavorful and savory as I was hoping for and since it was rather plain and not mixed with any sauce it was a bit dry on top of the fried pork. While I enjoyed the pork, I had slight regrets about not upgrading to the Premium pork after trying my boyfriend's Katsu Don (major food envy). His pork was juicier and more flavorful especially after soaking up the soy dashi sauce.
I think my favorite part of the meal was the rice both plain and in the Katsu Don, which according to Imakatsu, is Koshihikari rice. It was toothsome & aromatic and matched the katsu very well.


Premium Katsu Don (S$23.80)   8/10

Unfortunately, there were a few hiccups throughout the meal. I had requested no green onions on my Mentaiko Katsu but it had come with it the first time around.
The udon eventually came when the rest of our dinner was almost finished, but it arrived without the egg-which they brought on the side after I asked the server about it.
Perhaps they need more kitchen help, as I only saw one Chef. Also had some difficulty getting the check since there seemed to be a lack of communication between the two servers.

Ontama Udon (S$12.80)    6.5/10
slick thinner style of udon, may have been slightly overcooked and lost some of its chew

onsen egg for udon served cold
Asahi Mugs
Interior (counter+open kitchen)


I think for the price I expected a bit more especially from a Tonkatsu-dedicated restaurant but if you do go I would recommend the Katsu Don.

(For now, my favorite Tonkatsu restaurant will still have to be Tonkatsu by Ma Maison.)



Food: 7.5/10
Service: 6/10
Ambiance: Casual
Price: $$

Overall: 7/10 


Imakatsu @ Tanjong Pagar Centre
32 Wallich St,
Singapore 078880
Tel: +65 6822 7912

Hours:
Mon-Sat 11:30am - 3:00pm | 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Closed Sunday
  

Comments

Popular Posts