Hidden Italian Eatery (Jurong) : PocoLoco Microbrewery

Now, I'm not often in Jurong other than to visit friends but since I was at the Chinese Gardens visiting the Live Turtle & Tortoise Museum (possibly closing down at the end of the month) but after some quick online searches for where to eat - found PocoLoco Microbrewery, a casual Italian restaurant.

Relatively hidden, PocoLoco is tucked into the second floor of Snow City in Jurong. The rest of the building had already closed up for the day when I arrived around 8:30pm but upon climbing up the stairs considerable chattering could be heard and the space opened up into a cozy dining area. My eyes were drawn to the bar with its' shiny tanks (such a magpie).

Despite how empty the first floor was, PocoLoco's main dining room was full so the hostess guided us to an outside deck which I did not mind at all since it was much quieter especially since I was a bit put off by the little children running around and screaming in the hall outside of the restaurant. The al fresco area was empty and I imagine the view would have been nice if there was still daylight. Unfortunately, I was a mosquito buffet but a waitress took pity on me and set mosquito incense repellent under my table.

Since I was going to a few other places I only ordered the Zaffarano, seafood pasta with saffron sauce. The pasta was perfectly al dente and coated in just the right amount of fragrant sauce. While there wasn't a copious amount of seafood what was present was cooked well and tasted fresh.


Zafferano (S$13.90) seafood pasta with saffron sauce   4/5


I'm always pretty excited to try microbreweries, I don't claim to be a connoisseur of beers, but I was pretty disappointed with the beers at PocoLoco. Tried 4 out of the 5 beers, all except the Lager Chiaro (Light Lager) and was not impressed - they were all in need of more carbonation and character. My preferred one was probably the Dunkel (Dark) which had some stronger notes of malt & caramel.




Verde (S$8.00) green lager brewed with seaweed barley malt   2.5/5

Birra di Frumento (S$8.00) light bodied Weizen   3/5

Even though I wasn't a fan of the beers I would return to try other things on their menu since the pasta was delicious & most items were set at very fair prices. Worth a try if you find yourself in that corner of Jurong.


Food: 4/5
Alcohol: 3/5
Service: 3.5/5
Ambiance: Casual
Price: $$

Overall: 3.5/5 


PocoLoco Microbrewery
21 Jurong Town Hall Road,
Snow City Level 2, 609433
Tel: +65 8866 4646
Hours: Mon-Sun Noon-10:00Pm, closed btwn 3:00pm-6:00pm


Other outlets in Ang Mo Kio & Golden Mile Center

Comments

Popular Posts