The Salted Plum @ Circular Rd

I was trolling the interwebs when I spotted that The Salted Plum was officially open Wednesday March 21st so I quickly booked a table for dinner for the day after. As the day rolled around I was starting to see photos from their opening day which got me even more excited to try it out.

The Salted Plum is conveniently located on Circular Rd, right by Boat Quay, I walked there from home - which was only a 15 minute walk but was sweating by the time I arrived to meet my dinner companions. The carafe of iced red tea was perfect for cooling me down. 
The space itself was cheerfully lit (great for taking pictures, maybe not so flattering for my wrinkles) and while not big it didn't feel too cramped.
Super affordable Taiwanese "tzi char" small dishes that are great for sharing and perfect for people like me who just want to try "everything". The menu is easy to navigate with prices mainly S$5 & S$10, the most expensive items being lobster at S$25. (Lunch bowls are $10). 


dinner menu

interior

Fried Chicken + Nori Mayonnaise (S$10.00)
perfectly marinated & crispy without being overly greasy
I wanted to put that nori mayo on everything!
7/10 

Brussels Sprouts + Shiitake Mushrooms (S$5.00)
well cooked brussels sprouts, sweet with charred edges,
there was an interesting kick of acid soaked up by the shiitake mushrooms -not sure if I loved it.
6/10

Burnt Chilli Chicken (S$10.00)
juicy chicken thigh morsels with caramelized burnt edges and lots of chili bits perfect with rice but I think it could have been spicier - am I just a masochist?
8/10

  
Braised Pork Belly + Haus Saus (S$10.00)
tender, flavorful, not overly salty or greasy.
I would have happily dumped a bowl of rice straight into it if I wasn't sharing with other people.
7.5/10 

Corn + Hoisin Mayonnaise (S$5.00)
least favorite of the dishes I tried, the corn was tender and sweet but the "hoisin mayonnaise" tasted more like a sweet miso glaze rather than mayo and overall I found myself wanting some spice or citrus to cut through the sweetness.
5/10 

Kai Lan + Crispy Garlic (S$5.00)
gotta eat veggies! classic dish that was perfectly cooked, we even ordered a second order

8/10

Smashed Baby Potatoes + Plum Powder (S$5.00)
easily my favorite dish out of everything we tried
crispy edges and tender inside - the tangy salted plum powder was magic on the deep fried potatoes
got a second order of these and if we weren't so full I'm pretty sure we might have gotten a third
9/10 


Shiny Rice (S$0.50) drizzled with lard & garlic oil
while aromatic & delicious, I found that the added flavor from the lard & garlic oil did not add to my experience as much I was hoping for but there is a glossiness to the rice that you would not get with regular rice. I think crispy garlic would have elevated it even more to set it apart from the usual rice.
6.5/10


Comfortable and approachable food with just enough creative touches to keep it interesting. The Salted Plum is a great little spot for an affordable casual dinner with friends especially before or after drinks in the Boat Quay area.
I would love to see what else The Salted Plum will come up with after such a great start, will definitely be back.




Food: 8/10
Service: 7/10
Ambiance: Casual
Price: $

Overall: 8/10



The Salted Plum
10 Circular Road
Singapore 049366
Tel: +65 91816265

Hours
Mon- Saturday 12:00pm - 03:00pm | 06:00pm - 10:00pm
Closed Sunday

Comments

Popular Posts