L'Entrecôte French Steak & Fries Bistro @ Duxton Hill

Steak was requested for dinner so I made a reservation at L'Entrecote. The original restaurant is located in Paris where it gained fame specializing in steak-frites. I have not yet been to Paris but I was looking forward to trying the Singapore location which also has quite a reputation and following.

As we stepped into the small bistro it felt like I was transported to France - rustic wood paneling line the restaurant and my eyes were drawn to the large mirrors that help give the illusion that the space was larger than it actually is. I was glad to see that majority of the diners seemed to be French which usually is a good sign that the food is authentic.

Steak & fries, and wine is at the core of the menu - The entrecote steak is served only as a "regular" size & an "XXL" size with their secret sauce, accompanied by a mountain of fries and a small walnut salad. It didn't take us too long to decide on the food but the wine took a little bit longer as the first wine we requested was unavailable.

Complimentary glasses of rose were promptly given to us, I love "free" drinks!

I had to order the french onion soup and boy am I glad I did. Perfectly caramelized onions melted into the delicious beef broth topped with melty gruyere married to the bread. Was so in love with this soup and had to stop myself from ordering another before the steak even made its appearance.

Soupe a l'oignon Classic French onion soup with cheese toasts (S$10.00)   9/10

The walnut salad that comes with the meal was a bit disappointing, my greens had not been picked through very thoroughly and I found the vinaigrette too sharp. 

Walnut Side Salad 

Finally, the pièce de résistance! My steak arrived cooked to a perfect medium-rare as per my request, this already puts L'Entrecote at the top of my list. They also hold part of your steak over a tealight on the sideboard to to keep it warm while you work on the first half - genius! I think the only thing that could have made it better was if the steak itself had a bit more of a char to it or seasoning. 
As for the sauce.....so yummy, since it's a "secret" sauce I can only guess at the ingredients but it is rich, creamy, mustardy, peppery & addicting, perfect for dipping everything into it like the golden and crispy fries that were practically overflowing from my plate. Apparently the fries are free-flow but I never got to that point since I could barely finish the ones I already had.



Entrecote Steak (regular S$34.90 / XXL S$54.90)  7/10

For dessert we ordered the "House Signature Dessert" Coulant Caramel Au Beurre Salé a salted caramel lava cake with a side of ice cream on what appeared to be feuilletine flakes. The server did the honors of cutting through the cake and letting the molten caramel center dramatically flow out onto the plate. It was all a bit too sweet for me and the cake could have been more tender. 

Coulant Caramel Au Beurre Salé Salty Butter Caramel Lava Cake (S$16.00)   5/10

Final thoughts on L'Entrecote:
I would say that its a great date spot if you both enjoy steak. While it was not the best steak I've ever had ( and I prefer dry-aged), it was still quality food and I would come back for the experience, onion soup & sauce.


Food: 7/10
Service: 7/10
Ambiance: Bistro, Casual
Price: $$-$$$

Overall: 7/10 

(future ratings will be out of 10 to express my opinions better)


L'ENTRECÔTE THE STEAK & FRIES BISTRO
36 Duxton Hill
Singapore 089614
T: 6690 7561

Hours
Monday-Thursday: 12pm - 3pm | 6pm-10:30pm
Friday: 12pm - 3pm | 6pm-11pm
Saturday: 5:30pm - 11pm
Sunday: 12pm - 3pm | 5:30pm - 10pm

Comments

Popular Posts